University of Southern California
3601 Watt Way, GFS 301
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
USC Phone: (213) 821-1227
USC Fax: (213) 740-9306
Associate Professor, Dept. of Linguistics, Univ. of Southern California
- From July, 1994 through June, 1997, I was an NIH National Research Service Award Post-Doctoral Fellow at Haskins Laboratories.
- In the fall of 1996, I also taught General Phonetics as a Lecturer at Yale University.
- From 1997-1999, I was a permanent full-time Senior Scientist at Haskins.
- From 1999 - 2002 I was an Assistant Professor at USC in the Department of Linguistics.
- I am now an Associate Professor at USC in the Department of Linguistics.
- I am also a Research Affiliate with Haskins Laboratories as well where I collaborate with Elliot Saltzman and Louis Goldstein.
Here is the USC Phonetics &
Phonology Group Web Site from which you can get to my
Publications (many downloadable) and Research Information
by clicking on my Faculty entry.
- D. Byrd. (1992) Perception of assimilation in consonant clusters: A gestural model. Phonetica, 49:1-24.
- D. Byrd. (1992) Pitch and duration of yes-no questions in Nchufie. Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 22(1/2):12-26. Reprinted in H. Koopman and M. Kural, (Eds.), 1994, Aspects of Nchufie Grammar, UCLA Occasional Papers in Linguistics, vol. 14, 17-36.
- D. Byrd. (1992) Sex, dialects and reduction. In J. J. Ohala, T. M. Nearey, B. L. Derwing, M. M. Hodge & G. E. Wiebe (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, vol. 2, 827-830.
- D. Byrd. (1993) Marshallese suffixal reduplication. In J. Mead, (Ed.), Proceedings of the Eleventh West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, 61-77.
- D. Byrd. (1993) 54,000 American stops. UCLA Working Papers in Phonetics, 83.
- D. Byrd. (1994) Relations of sex and dialect to reduction. Speech Communication, 15:39-54.
- D. Byrd. (1995) C-Centers revisited. Phonetica, 52:263-282.
- D. Byrd. (1995) Articulatory characteristics of single and blended lingual gestures. in K. Elenius & P. Branderud (Eds.), Proceedings of the XIIIth International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, 438-441.
- D. Byrd, E. Flemming, C. A. Mueller, & C. C. Tan. (1995) Using regions and indices in EPG data reduction. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 38:821-827.
- Byrd. (1996) Influences on articulatory timing in consonant sequences. Journal of Phonetics, 24(2):209-244.
- D. Byrd. (1996) A phase window framework for articulatory timing. Phonology, 13(2):139-169.
- D. Byrd & C. C. Tan. (1996) Saying consonant clusters quickly. Journal of Phonetics, 24(2):263-282.
- D. Byrd & E. Saltzman. (1998) Intragestural dynamics of multiple phrasal boundaries. Journal of Phonetics, 26:173-199.
- D. Byrd, C. P. Browman, L. Goldstein, & D. Honorof. (1999) Magnetometer and X-ray microbeam comparison. In J. J. Ohala, Y. Hasegawa, M. Ohala, D. Granville, & A. C. Bailey, (Eds.). Proceedings of the 14th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, New York: American Institute of Physics, 627-630.
- S. Narayanan, D. Byrd, & A. Kaun. (1999) Geometry, kinematics, and acoustics of Tamil liquid consonants. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 106(4):1993-2007.
- D. Byrd, A. Kaun, S. Narayanan, & E. Saltzman. (2000) Phrasal signatures in articulation. In M. B. Broe and J. B. Pierrehumbert, (Eds.). Papers in Laboratory Phonology V. Cambridge:Cambridge University Press, 70 - 87.
- D. Byrd. (2000) Articulatory vowel lengthening and coordination at phrasal junctures. Phonetica, 57(1):3-16.
- E. Saltzman & D. Byrd (2000) Task-dynamics of gestural timing: Phase windows and multifrequency rhythms. Human Movement Science, 19:499-526.
- I. Chitoran, L. Goldstein, & D. Byrd. (2002) Gestural overlap and recoverability: Articulatory evidence from Georgian. In C. Gussenhoven & Warner (Eds.) Laboratory Phonology 7 . Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 419-448.
- D. Byrd & E. Saltzman. (2002) Speech production. in M. Arbib (Ed.) The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks. 2nd Edition. Cambridge:MIT Press. 1072-1076.
- D. Byrd & E. Saltzman. (in press) The elastic phrase: Modeling the dynamics of boundary-adjacent lengthening. Journal of Phonetics.
- L. Goldstein, M. Pouplier, L. Chen, E. Saltzman, & D. Byrd (in prep) Gestural action units slip in speech production errors.
- D. Byrd. (submitted) Relating prosody and dynamic action units: Commentary on the papers by Cho, Navas,Smiljanic, and Shattuck-Hufnagel . Laboratory Phonology 8.